"I don't worry at all. I have a feeling I can do anything here. Anything can happen here. It is a little like being a child, with faith, again." - George Lukk, post-war immigrant

Saturday 16 November 2013

Money, money, moan.

I don't have to pay any tuition fees, because we don't have them in Finland. But there are some additional fees that we don't have here either, like a bus pass etc.
Some people don't want to discuss money matters but I don't really care so here's everything I've had to pay so far or know I will have to pay soon:

(1 CAD = 0,71 EUR / 1 EUR = 1,41 CAD)

- First there was a 500$ (CAD) application deposit for the residence
- Well actually the flight was first: 454,71€
- I'll spend one night in a hotel in Toronto before I transport me and my heeeavy luggage to my final destination. (This is because the move-in day is the 4th and if I wanted to move in early I'd have to pay 30$) The shuttle bus from the airport is approx. 75$ and the hotel will probably be around 70$ unless I stay in a hostel
- The rent = 2538$. I decided to pay the whole rent in advance so I won't have to worry about it while I'm there. (well actually there were only two options... to pay it all by 15.11. or in two parts, the first by 15.11. and the second by 22.1.)
- 574,27$ for the miscellaneous fees
- I'll get the ESTA so I can cross the border of Canada's only neighbour. That's 14$ (USD)
- I also had to get a new passport and even though it's not just for the exchange I count it to the budget. That was 52€ plus the pictures, 19€
- I'll also have to get a travel insurance but I have no idea how much that will cost. I did a quick investigation on google and it seems it will cost at least 100€ and more if I stay longer

I think that's it. I certainly hope so... I'll of course (or probably, hehe) have to buy a return flight at some point but let's try and not to worry about that now.......

Summed up that's 3,771.27$ and 625,71€ -> 3,301.70€ or 4,653.27$

Oh crap now I'm frustrated cause the sum is a bit different depending on how I convert the amounts and count it... Blehhhh. I know it doesn't have to be exact but that small perfectionist in me is nagging and I'm tired and oh whateverrr who cares. The point is that it takes a hell of a lot of money even without any tuition fees. And since I'm not a millionaire I really have to search for the money. I've worked a little (would have worked more if I'd had the opportunity) and I've used my student loan for this semester. I'll get 900€ as a grant from my university but not until January.

Loonie, toonie & friends. (1$ coin = Loonie & 2$ coin = Toonie)


I don't want to complain and I know it's money perfectly spent and I won't regret it but it's just very stressful and sometimes frustrating thinking about money all the time. And it's not just the money that makes it stressful but also all the applications and deadlines and all the other arrangements. And that's one thing no one else understands cause for them it just seems stupid and annoying that I'm sometimes 'complaining' that this is so exhausting etc but it's constantly on my mind and that really is tiring sometimes. 
How will I get the money? Will I get enough money so I can pay everything by the deadline? Will the papers get lost in the mail? When are they going to answer me about the apartment? Will I get an internship? If I do, where will I live then? Have I chosen the right courses or will I have to change some of them?
These are just a small part of all the questions and thoughts that are running through my head all the time.

One other downside to this is that I'll miss the last semester our whole class is still together and I probably won't see them so much after I come back. I'll really miss them!

No comments:

Post a Comment