"I don't worry at all. I have a feeling I can do anything here. Anything can happen here. It is a little like being a child, with faith, again." - George Lukk, post-war immigrant

Sunday 12 January 2014

Oopsie daisy!



The people who know me know that I tend to be a bit clumsy and awkward sometimes. So here's a collection of what I've already done during my first week here.


Mortifying Bus Rides:
The LTC buses deserve their own chapter. The first time I took a bus I didn't have my bus pass yet so I had to pay with cash. I knew I wouldn't get any change but I didn't have anything smaller than a 5$ bill (at first I accidentally took out a 20$ bill and the driver said "yeah you're not gonna wanna pay with that"). In Finland we just give the money to the driver (and actually get change) so I was just trying to do that. But nooo he was just pointing at a machine. After an awkward moment of figuring out how to put the bill in the driver showed me and mumbled something like "you're making me be late". Oh yeah well SORRY for that.
Coming back I had a 5$ bill again but it was a new one (they're renewing the bills here too). So I had it folded twice like I'd just learned thinking that pheew no pressure now, I know what to do. But it didn't go in. The driver said I had to fold it in another way but I didn't understand what he meant so he showed me but he said that he'd let me go this time ("just pay twice next time" yeah right).
THEN. When I was getting off the bus I didn't know I had to open the door myself. So I was just standing there awkwardly looking at the driver and shrugging my shoulders like a retard. Someone on the bus told me to push the bars on the door to open it (it actually says that on the bars but I hadn't noticed...). So that was embarrassing.
Aaand then one time when I was coming back from the grocery store hands full of heavy bags I couldn't get out in time. There were a couple of people getting off before me and I was right at their heels but the doors just closed and I tried to push the bars but it didn't work and the driver just sped away. THANKS. I pulled the wire (yeah you have to pull a wire that runs along the sides of the bus to  "request a stop") as soon as I'd balanced myself and got off at the next stop. It wasn't that far but since I'd already had such bad luck with the effing buses and was carrying heavy groceries I was soooo pissed. Like, I had to clench my teeth not to cry -pissed.
Aaaahhh got that off my chest. Yay.


The Campus:
On the first day when I came here I asked the lady at the front desk of the residence office where the international office might be. She said that it's right there across the street in the M building. So I went there and there was no one in the whole building. And no international office (not actually in that building). So I just wandered around in there for a while looking like an idiot. That one building is about the size of our campus in Finland and there's 15 more buildings, some smaller some a lot bigger.
The next day I checked where the office was and that it was supposed to be open and tried again. I found it with the help of a campus security guy, buuuut it wasn't open. Great. At least the guard was hot.

Here's a map of the campus, but it's hard to understand just how big it is just by looking at this. It would probably take at least half an hour to walk around it. It is called "a city within a city" after all. (The orange block on the right called Kestrel Court is where I live.)

 It's like my brain's still travelling here. Like still on the way. Now it's maybe somewhere around Greenland. Here's why:

- For the first few days I used to come home and put the key card in my door and then wonder why I couldn't open it until I'd done it a second time. Then after various times of repeating the procedure I finally realised that it hadn't even been locked. So I kept locking it every time I came home. I'm sooo proud of myself. 
- It took me a week to realise there's a Young Offenders Detention Center right next door. I mean I'd seen the name on the map many times but hadn't really thought about it. But that explains the high fences...
- It also took me almost a week to apprehend where my room is located in the house. I kept thinking that it was in the corner on the other side of the damn house. Yup... it's not. And I thought I have a good sense of direction.


It's also been like learning everything from the beginning like a child.
Like how to turn on the shower and the sink faucets, and how to flush the fricking toilet. Thank goodness there was nobody else witnessing these educational events.
Also, when I go to the grocery store I have to carefully study each item so I'll know what it even is. I must look very clever doing that since I'm slooowly going through each shelf  and each item and walking back and forth in the aisles.


And in other news:
I had a day of firsts today. First time in Tim Horton's aka Timmy's (bought a large hot chocolate since it was so cheap and it took me like 20 mins to drink it), American Apparel (not really my kinda clothes), and Wendy's (I gave up trying to find veggie food and ate chicken... bleh)

Bagged milk freaks me out.

This is what it was like the other day when the school was closed. Now it's just slush and water.

I've been nom nom nomming these blueberries which are very much unlike our bilberries.

Been looking for hipster glasses for a while. I look like an idiot though so did not buy them.

I just looove all the books in Urban Outfitters. I'd like to buy them all.

Especially these. (He's Canadian in case you didn't know)


HOW can the onions be so HUGE?! I don't think you can see it in this picture but I swear the ones on the right are the size of a baby's head.
First house party. Beer bong and shisha! (ei mitään huumeita äiti, tupakkaakin parempi vaihtoehto itseasiassa)


Btw, there are some posts I haven't published on Facebook since they're not that interesting but in case someone's really bored, go ahead and read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment