"I don't worry at all. I have a feeling I can do anything here. Anything can happen here. It is a little like being a child, with faith, again." - George Lukk, post-war immigrant

Sunday 5 January 2014

The journey

So... A few days back I wrote a looong post about these same things and it just disappeared. Now that I've finally gotten over the horrendous anger that caused me I'm gonna try again.


Checking in on the flight caused my blood pressure to rise quite a bit. The attendant wasn't sure if I was allowed to come here without either a visa or a return ticket. So I had to wait for her to get her supervisor there and then wait for them to figure it out. Well the outcome was that they allowed me on the flight but they warned me that I "may be refused entry" when I arrived in Canada. Luckily the officer in Toronto just asked me some questions etc but never even hinted that I might need to buy a return ticket or anything.

Some people are afraid of flying, but I actually enjoy it very much. Especially the take offs and landings, which are the hardest part for many people. The feeling is something quite unique... It's like being on a roller coaster plus at the same time feeling like you're as free as a bird. Well that sounded cheesy...
So the flights went well, but I was pretty exhausted when I arrived in Toronto, because for some reason I'm not able to sleep on a plane... Maybe I enjoy it too much haha. So when I got to the customs desk and had to fill out the form my hands were shaking. The guy must've noticed it since he volunteered to fill in the rest of the form for me. Fortunately he must've also guessed that it was due to being tired and not nervous cause I'm a terrorist or something.
I was surprised by how many times they wanted to check me and the form. I had to show it three more times and each time I'd just put it back in my bag so I had to dig it put every time, and in the end the last guy checking it kept it. So that went well.

There might've been a free shuttle to the hotel but I didn't know about it and was too tired to even think about that so I just took an overpriced taxi. The hotel was nice but not as nice as I'd expected since it was a Hilton. But I just watched some TV and went to bed, and at least the King-size bed was really nice. So was the breakfast. Yum yum yum.

I had made a reservation with RobertQ for a minibus-ride from the airport to London. I expected to see some great views etc on the way but the only interesting thing I saw were the signs for an African Lion Safari and a Butterfly Conservatory. And multiple signs for Tim Horton's and Starbucks.

In London I had to take a taxi again since I had no idea how to get from the terminal to my apartment. At least it wasn't as expensive as last time and the driver was really nice and asked questions and told me where we were etc.

I'll make a separate post about the apartment and all that some day in the future.

I can't come up with a good ending sentence so I'll just throw some pics here.


Can someone tell me what those glowing orange roofs are in Iceland




Wanna go for a swim?

The view from my hotel room. Nice cars..........


No comments:

Post a Comment